Ash Veterinary Clinic


Blog category description



            Accidental pet poisonings are on the rise and some of the most common are from human medication. Have you ever taken your daily medication and dropped a pill on the floor? When that happens your pet is usually right there waiting to pick it up. We at Ash Veterinary Clinic want to make you aware that certain everyday medications can make your pet very ill and can even cause death.

            Ibuprofen and naproxen are called NSAIDs, which stands for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. They are the most common cause of pet poisoning in small animals and can cause serious problems in minimal doses. Some name brand name NSAIDs are Advil, Aleve and Motrin. One or two pills can cause serious harm to a pet and they may develop stomach and intestinal ulcers as well as kidney failure.

            Tylenol, or acetaminophen, is one of the most popular pain relievers in the world. Cats are especially sensitive to acetaminophen. One regular strength tablet can damage red blood cells and cause the blood to be unable to carry oxygen. Many cats die from acetaminophen ingestion. In dogs at high doses, it can cause liver damage and, at higher doses, red blood cell damage.

            Some medications that are used to treat depression are Effexor, Cymbalta and Lexapro. Overdoses of these medications in pets can cause serious neurological problems such as, sedation, tremors, incoordination and seizures. Other antidepressants may have the opposite effect which could lead to an elevated heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature. Keep in mind too, that it seems that pets enjoy the taste of Effexor and often eat the whole pill. Medications used to treat ADHD in people can also act as stimulants in pets.

            There are some easy things to do around the house to help ensure that your pets are kept safe. Always keep medications safely out of reach of pets and never administer medication without first consulting your veterinarian. Never store loose pills in a plastic baggie because they are easily chewed. Never keep your medication near your pet’s medication. There is always the chance that you might mistake the bottles and accidently give them your medication. If you keep your medication in your purse, make sure to hang it up. Inquisitive pets looking for treats may mistakenly ingest your medication. Remember, pets metabolize medication differently than humans, so if you have any questions regarding a medication that your pet has possibly ingested, call Ash Veterinary Clinic at 734-782-2827.

Dr. Toinette Strusinski-Broschay is the owner of Ash Veterinary Clinic in Carleton.

[4:06:25 PM] Dianne Raftopoulos: