Ash Veterinary Clinic


Blog category description

Easter Hazards

            Now that spring is here and the weather has finally taken a turn for warmer days, everyone is looking forward to getting out of the house. With colorful decorations for Easter livening up the scenery, spring is a great time to take an inventory of potential pet hazards. Here are a few quick tips from Ash Veterinary Clinic on what to watch out for this spring.

             For some pets, Easter grass is simply irresistible. It moves easily in the breeze, makes interesting sounds and feels good on their gums when they crunch it. Easter grass can pose a deadly threat if ingested. It can get stuck in the mouth, throat and even intestines. If your pet ingests Easter grass and you can see it in the mouth or rectum, pulling it out is not recommended, as this can cause more damage if the piece is long and trapped far inside the body. Aside from the visible material, some signs of illness include vomiting, straining to defecate or a painful abdomen.

            Be aware of candy wrappings around pets too. They hold the same interest that Easter grass does because pets are drawn to the texture, bright colors and crinkly sounds of these wrappings. Many pets, especially cats and puppies, often consume them unintentionally while playing with them. When pets eat these items, they can cause intestinal upset or even an intestinal obstruction.

The Easter Lily is a common gift this time of year. It is also a plant that is highly toxic to cats if ingested. Make sure to put plants in an area that cats cannot get to or in a room that they do not have access to. Cats love to chew on the leaves of this plant and do not understand that it is not healthy for them. The first signs of ingestion are vomiting and lethargy. If untreated, it could progress to kidney failure and even death.

Chocolate is always a danger. The toxic component in chocolate is called theobromine. It is more of a dog hazard, because they have the nose and determination to find it, but it is still harmful to cats, too. The level of theobromine toxicity is based on the quantity and type of chocolate consumed. Dark chocolate contains the highest amount of theobromine, while white “chocolate” contains the least. Early clinical signs of theobromine toxicity include, but are not limited to, vomiting, diarrhea and trembling.

Lastly, consider backyard Easter egg hunts very carefully. If you use real eggs, make note of where they are placed in the yard. Many pets have become ill after stumbling across a rotten Easter egg. If possible, plastic eggs would be better than real eggs as long as your pet cannot get inside to consume any of the contents. If real eggs are tradition, make sure that the same amount of eggs come in that went out.

It is important to remember to keep all candy dishes and Easter baskets out of your pet’s reach at all times. If you know that your pet is the curious type, make sure to keep a good eye on them this Easter season. Also, if you have any questions or feel your pet has ingested any of these items, do not hesitate to call Ash Veterinary Clinic in Carleton at 734-782-2827.

[4:06:25 PM] Dianne Raftopoulos: